Tips to help reduce monthly expenses & save you money
- Reducing monthly expenses is an easy way to generate more money.
- Saving money on the little things will leave you with more money to cover your monthly bills, get out of debt faster or to spend on more enjoyable things.
- The following tips are some items where everyone can save money.
- Reducing monthly expenses does not mean you reduce your quality of life. It simply is being mindful of the little things that can add up and affect your cash flow and budget.
The following tips are broken into helpful categories:
- Start with a shopping list
- Never grocery shop when you are hungry
- Plan your meals to avoid waste
- Plan less expensive meals (example: with less meat) a few nights a week.
- Watch for sales on needed items
- Stock up on non-perishable items when there is a sale
- Use Coupons when available
- Avoid buying treats unless they are in your budget
- Cook and bake from scratch (prepared foods are usually more expensive)
- Buy in bulk when possible (make tow items at once and freeze the second)
- Shop for quality items that will last (price does not mean quality)
- Shop second-hand or consignment stores
- Plan you shopping around sales and end-of-season clearances
Household Operations and Entertainment
- •Make your own household repairs
- Make your own cleaning solutions mixing water and vinegar (half and half)
- Purchase used appliances that come with a warranty
- Reduce, reuse and recycle
- Monitor your long distance and change plans to meet your needs
- Turn the lights out behind you.
- Buy no name brand instead of name brands
- Conserve water ( Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth, wash full loads of laundry)
- Borrow from your library ( instead of buying books )
- Plan to see movies on cheap night
- When possible walk or ride a bike instead of driving
- When possible use public transit
- Car pool with friends
- Use self-serve gas pumps
- Monitor your cars oil and tire pressure regularly ( To reduce maintenance costs)
- Shop for the best value on auto insurance
- Plan your trips to save gas
- Fill up your car when the price of gas is down
- Buy quality used cars
- Bring your lunch, don’t eat out
- bring your snacks don’t use vending machines
- Take your own coffee to work
- Start a lunch pool (one person brings enough for the others once a week.)